I need a break. How can I find respite care in Ontario?


I need a break. How can I find respite care in Ontario?

Dear :

Respite care provides temporary relief to those who are caring for an elderly, ill or handicapped person. These short-term stays are provided by most retirement communities and can also be a great way to try out a retirement community. To search for respite care in your area click HERE to visit Pearl’s Choice and filter by ‘short-term/respite care’ under the Care Types drop-down.  


Applying for subsidized respite care can also be done through your local Community Care Access Centre (CCAC). Simply call 416-310-2222 to find your local CCAC and a representative will help you with the process. This will include going over qualifications and eligibility, arranging assessments of the person you care for and scheduling the services if you are approved for respite care.


You have several options when it comes to respite care. It can be provided at home where the person gets the care they need at home, in your absence. It can be given at long-term care homes for up to 60 days or adult day programs that offer structured and supervised activities in group settings.


To learn more about whether you qualify, visit the government of Ontario information page HERE. To learn more about respite care in other provinces, click HERE.